Skip to main content

Long Time No Blog

It`s been almost 4 months since my last post. A lot has happened in those 4 months.

My physical examination was good. I did have to go back for a chest CT and a stomach camera (not fun at all). The chest CT was because they saw some nodules on my lungs in the x-ray, but the CT showed that they weren`t anything serious. The stomach camera was to check inflammation from a bacteria called H.Pylori. Apparently it`s not as common among Americans as it is among Asians, so the camera tech was surprised. The doctor prescribed me a cocktail of pills which I had to take morning and night for 1 week and I`ll go back in March for a blood test to make sure the bacteria is gone.

In July I started seriously thinking about which kindergarten I would send Noa to next April. Here in Kyoto we turn in applications around October 1 and some kindergartens fill up quickly so it`s good to have a backup or two. Luckily we were able to get into the one I liked best! A few days after turning in the application we went for an "interview" and to check her size for her school uniform and gym clothes. Y`all, she is going to be too cute in her uniform that I ordered too big so she can use it for 3 years! We pick it up in December, so be looking for pictures in a couple of months.

We spent all of August and the first few days of September in Texas. It was my longest trip home in several years and I`ve got to say I liked being there that length of time. OK, in all honesty it still wasn`t long enough, but that`s what I have to deal with for marrying a man from Japan.

Before we went on our trip I was approached about teaching classes at the culture center in the mall near our place. I`m teaching just 2 days a month right now and started in mid September. I`m slowly building numbers and am thinking of increasing my teaching days from the next term in January.

After our trip I attempted another Whole 30. It wasn`t perfect, but I did manage to make it to 30 days with just one day that I truly messed up. According to the rules you`re supposed to start back at day 1 if you mess up, but for me that wasn`t feasible, so I just got back on track the following day and finished as planned. I`m back to eating some things not allowed on Whole 30 now and I definitely feel a difference. I`m planning to cut out gluten and dairy (except for cheese occasionally, probably on a taco with a corn tortilla...since I`m cutting out gluten) for awhile to see how I feel. One of the hardest things for me on Whole 30 is that soy products aren`t allowed and it`s hard to find stuff without soy sauce or soy oil in them here. I don`t feel like soy affects me too bad and I don`t eat a ton of it, but when we go out to eat it`s nice to not have to think about that.

Recently I am trying to get rid of some of the clutter in our apartment. I`ve started by joining a couple of garage sale groups run by foreigners in Japan. I joined one for everything kids and one for everything else. I started by making an album of Noa`s clothes last week and immediately made a few sales. I`ve agreed to bank transfers or Amazon gift cards as payment and am saving up the gift cards on my account to use for Christmas shopping. I still have several boxes of stuff I`d been saving to go through and post, so hopefully I`ll be able to turn all those clothes into a little cash. It`s not easy to declutter with a 2 year around, but I`m trying.

Speaking of my 2 year old, we are almost completely potty trained!!!!!!!
For the last couple of weeks she`s been in training panties and going all day with no accidents, but she`d ask for a diaper, or even put one on herself when she wanted to poop. I finally got smart on Saturday and told her we didn`t have any diapers so she`d sit on the potty and it worked! She`s pooped on the potty 3 days in a row! And on Sunday night after I put her diaper on for bed she even told me she needed to potty and pooped in the potty rather that in her diaper. Then, this morning she asked me if she was wearing panties and I told her she was still in her diaper and she asked to change into panties! I am so proud of how well she`s doing. I cannot believe we are less than 2 months away from having a 3 year old.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This week`s goals

Goal #1 - run It`s Monday morning here and I`ve got my first run of the week done! My goal is to get out and run everyday this week M-F and maybe on Saturday too. From Saturday I`m going on a 2 night camping trip with 14 students from the English conversation school where I work. I`m hoping it will be fun, but who knows... This morning I set my alarm for 6:00 to get out and run before Koichi woke up, but that didn`t happen. I ended up getting out of bed around 7:40. I made breakfast so Koichi could eat and then I packed his lunch while snacking on the watermelon that wouldn`t fit in his lunch box. I considered not running since it was already after 8:00. but I decided to just get out there and do it and now I`m glad I did! Goal #2 - eat healthy meals & track food About to make some breakfast now. I`m thinking I`ll make a green smoothie and have 1/4 of an avocado and some sliced tomatoes on the side, may even throw in an egg. Lunch will most likely be chicken taqu...

TGIF

I love Fridays! Thursdays are pretty long for me and I have a few tough classes and then on Friday I have a really easy day with good kids and almost the entire day free. Plus, the weekend is near! Yesterday I was lucky to finish at 4:30 in the afternoon. I had to do some shopping for our upcoming camping trip so I texted my friend Kazuko to see if I could drop by her place. She said yes and I picked up some take out curry and headed over. We had dinner and talked and I played with her kids who are so adorable. It was a nice break from the kids I get to see everyday! I needed to get away from my everyday routine so it was a good visit. Here`s what I`ve got going on today: 1) fold and put away laundry (I`m bad about folding and leaving!) 2) clean kitchen and dining room table 3) Swiffer floors because they`re gritty with volcanic ash 4) exercise at 9:00 (that will make 3 days in a row) 5) Face Time with my sister!! I love planning things to do on the weekends. So far this wee...

Headache -> Cancelled plans

I was supposed to have friends over for a 鍋 (hot-pot) party tonight. I`d invited Kazuko`s family and Miki`s family and we were all looking forward to a fun evening eating, drinking, talking and laughing. Unfortunately I have had a headache since yesterday evening so my plans were cancelled. I thought it would be better when I woke up this morning, but it wasn`t. I went to work at 9:00 for a lesson and thought some coffee would help, but it didn`t. After work I decided to suck it up and go to the gym to work out thinking the exercise would clear my head and take the pain away, but it didn`t. After I came home I discussed with Koichi that I would take some medicine and if my head was still hurting around 3:00pm that I would contact both friends and cancel the evening. Around that time I got a message from Kazuko that her son had a runny nose and that he and her husband would stay home because she didn`t want his germs to spread to Miki`s 8 month old baby. So I made the decision then to g...