Skip to main content

Long overdue post about China!!!

Thursday, April 22
I flew from Fukuoka, Japan to Beijing through Dailan. In Dailan I simply had to get off the plane, have my passport checked and stamped and then board the plane again. The best part about that little layover was meeting a Japanese woman and her daughter while waiting to board. Her husband is living in China for work and she and the daughter had been visiting family in Japan. We ended up exchanging email addresses.

The other good thing about stopping in Dailan was my bathroom experience. First of all let me say, bathrooms in China, in general, weren't that great! There's a toilet paper dispenser at the entrance and you get some to take into the stall with you. I kept forgetting, luckily I had tissues in my purse! Anyway, I found a sort of public service announcement on the back of the door in the airport bathroom. What do you think?

Good advice, right?
When I arrived in Beijing Christy was waiting for me at the airport with a driver from her school. He drove us home and we ordered dinner. My first meal in Beijing...PIZZA!

 
Went to bed pretty early that night as I planned to wake up and leave when C left around 7:15 Friday morning.
Friday, April 23

I snuck through the side entrance of the Crown Royal hotel which happened to be right by C's place. It's  a huge hotel with lots of foreigners so C told me I could walk in the side door, through the lobby to the front and just ask the concierge to get me a cab. They all spoke English so I could tell them where I wanted to go and they'd talk to the cab driver for me! It was about a 45 minute to 1 hour cab ride to the main part of Beijing. 

First stop...Tienanmen Square.
This was just after I went through the security checkpoint where they scanned everyone's bags before letting them onto the square, which is pretty big! There were so many people too. My favorite was the tour groups, all of a sudden I'd see a big group of people all wearing red caps. Quite a sight! I walked around a bit and was approached by people trying to sell stuff. I had to go down under the street to cross over to the Imperial City which holds the Forbidden City.

This is the north gate of Tienanmen, which literally means "Gate of Heavenly Peace." At the other end of the square you can go through a rather long line to see Mao's body. I didn't really think that was necessary! There were so many people outside of this gate. Lots of picture taking, even had some random guy walk up next to me, stick his cell phone in my face and take my picture...twice, same guy! I just smiled for him. Needless to say I stood out with my blond hair. 

Once you walk through this gate you can see the entrance to the Forbidden City. I was preparing to figure out how to get in when a Chinese guy approached me and asked if I needed a tour guide. At first I declined, but quickly changed my mind after considering the fact that I don't speak Chinese and know next to nothing about the place. He was a cool guy and offered me a 1 1/2 hour tour for 150 RMB ($23). I thought that was decent. While he was buying our tickets to enter a fellow solo traveler asked if I'd like my pic taken.
I returned the favor and asked him if he'd like to join my tour. He was from Australia and had been to see his brother in Macao and then to China and was leaving that day to go back to his brother's. We get our tickets and head inside, going through another security checkpoint. 
This is Josh and me just inside the Forbidden City.
My tour guide, "Herry." He was so informative and spoke excellent English! I just knew he must've studied abroad at some point, but when I asked he told me that he'd never been outside of China!
Along the top of the buildings there were lines of animals. According to "Herry" the number of animals correlated to how important the building was.
A room covered in silk. The Forbidden City is where the Imperial family lived and regular people weren't allowed inside. The emperor could have more than one wife and this is where they spent their honeymoon. All around the room is this Chinese character:
It means "double happiness." The top line across is like shoulders touching and the line across near the middle is like holding hands. I thought this was a cool character. As far as I know there isn't one like it in Japanese. A lot of the characters are the same or similar so I could understand a little of what was written on signs in China!

One last bit of trivia about the Forbidden City. See how the floor is raised at the entrance? It's like that in order to keep evil out. 
However, do you notice this door way doesn't have the step? Supposedly it's because the Last Emperor, who was just shy of 3 years old when named emperor, received a bicycle as a gift from Britain at some point and they had the steps removed from a couple of doors so he could ride his bike through the Forbidden City!
 
After the Forbidden City tour, "Herry" was ready to say goodbye and I asked him if he'd be interested in letting me hire him for the day and lucky for me he was ok with that.  Just outside of the Forbidden City is a teahouse which "Herry" sometimes visits. So we went together and enjoyed watching a Chinese tea ceremony and drinking tea.
The tea leaves were rolled into balls. This was ginseng tea.
All together we tried 5 different kinds. This was the final one, a chrysanthemum flower wrapped in green tea (I think that's what they said). After dropping the tea wrapped flower into the water, it bloomed after a few minutes!
"Claire" and me. She was an entertaining tea ceremony presenter as well as quite a salesperson. I ended up buying tea for my mom and myself.

I still have a lot to write about my first day out in Beijing, but it'll have to wait because I'm fighting to keep my eyes open. I should be back tomorrow though! Until then...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This week`s goals

Goal #1 - run It`s Monday morning here and I`ve got my first run of the week done! My goal is to get out and run everyday this week M-F and maybe on Saturday too. From Saturday I`m going on a 2 night camping trip with 14 students from the English conversation school where I work. I`m hoping it will be fun, but who knows... This morning I set my alarm for 6:00 to get out and run before Koichi woke up, but that didn`t happen. I ended up getting out of bed around 7:40. I made breakfast so Koichi could eat and then I packed his lunch while snacking on the watermelon that wouldn`t fit in his lunch box. I considered not running since it was already after 8:00. but I decided to just get out there and do it and now I`m glad I did! Goal #2 - eat healthy meals & track food About to make some breakfast now. I`m thinking I`ll make a green smoothie and have 1/4 of an avocado and some sliced tomatoes on the side, may even throw in an egg. Lunch will most likely be chicken taqu...

TGIF

I love Fridays! Thursdays are pretty long for me and I have a few tough classes and then on Friday I have a really easy day with good kids and almost the entire day free. Plus, the weekend is near! Yesterday I was lucky to finish at 4:30 in the afternoon. I had to do some shopping for our upcoming camping trip so I texted my friend Kazuko to see if I could drop by her place. She said yes and I picked up some take out curry and headed over. We had dinner and talked and I played with her kids who are so adorable. It was a nice break from the kids I get to see everyday! I needed to get away from my everyday routine so it was a good visit. Here`s what I`ve got going on today: 1) fold and put away laundry (I`m bad about folding and leaving!) 2) clean kitchen and dining room table 3) Swiffer floors because they`re gritty with volcanic ash 4) exercise at 9:00 (that will make 3 days in a row) 5) Face Time with my sister!! I love planning things to do on the weekends. So far this wee...

Headache -> Cancelled plans

I was supposed to have friends over for a 鍋 (hot-pot) party tonight. I`d invited Kazuko`s family and Miki`s family and we were all looking forward to a fun evening eating, drinking, talking and laughing. Unfortunately I have had a headache since yesterday evening so my plans were cancelled. I thought it would be better when I woke up this morning, but it wasn`t. I went to work at 9:00 for a lesson and thought some coffee would help, but it didn`t. After work I decided to suck it up and go to the gym to work out thinking the exercise would clear my head and take the pain away, but it didn`t. After I came home I discussed with Koichi that I would take some medicine and if my head was still hurting around 3:00pm that I would contact both friends and cancel the evening. Around that time I got a message from Kazuko that her son had a runny nose and that he and her husband would stay home because she didn`t want his germs to spread to Miki`s 8 month old baby. So I made the decision then to g...