Skip to main content

Running with a smile on my face

Yesterday I did day 2 of week 2 of my C25K training and I smiled the whole time. I smiled because it felt good to be outside. It felt good to move my legs. I smiled thinking about how much better I already feel since I've started thinking more about healthy choices. I smiled because while it may be tough and at times a bit uncomfortable, I still have legs that are capable of moving me around, not only walking, but jogging. I feel lucky! I know there are people out there that aren't able to get out and enjoy the fresh air and sunshine so I am thankful for my legs and intend to use them as much as possible!

I'd intended on running Saturday, but Koichi suggested going for a walk, so I did that instead. On Sunday I planned to go in the evening, but it started raining and rained through Monday. So finally I got back on track yesterday. Planning to do day 3 tomorrow and hopefully start week 3 on Saturday.

Next week I'm going to Beijing for a few days so I have to try not to let that mess up my training. Even if I don't manage to run while in Beijing, I must get right back to it when I return. I will not quit this time until I can run 5K!! There, I said it. Now you guys have to keep me accountable.

I never posted about this last week, but I started weighing on Fridays and last week I saw a 1.9 kilogram decrease from the previous week! That's almost 4 pounds!! I'm guessing that's mostly from cutting out sodas and drinking a ton of water and green tea. I last drank a soda on April 1 and that evening I decided I wanted to try to go the rest of the month without one. So far so good! Last year Koichi got this awesome scale from his health insurance at work.
You hold the bar out in front of you and it measures your weight, body fat %, amount of fat in your belly area, number of calories you need a day, and your body's age. I am sad to say that the first time I used the scale, my age was 58! That's a difference of 28 years!!! My goal is to bring this down.

Yesterday I was pleasantly surprised at the grocery store. I found these:
I don't know if you recognize that cow, but in the States there's a cheese called Laughing Cow and they make spreadable cheese wedges that are so delicious and not too high calorie. I really enjoyed them while home and had missed them since coming back here. These are the same concept only quite a bit smaller and in cubes rather than wedges. However, each cube is only 14 calories! So far I've enjoyed them spread on toast and on toasted tortillas...yum!

Last night Koichi had a work thing so I had dinner alone. I bought some fresh salmon and was going to just have salmon sashimi with rice, but decided to try making "nama-haru-maki" literally raw, spring rolls. They were much easier to make than I imagined and so delicious!
It's rice paper, then your fillings (I used salmon, carrots, cucumber and rice noodles) and you roll it up like a burrito!
Just before I was about to make dinner last night I got a text from Koichi, which is unusual. He usually doesn't have time to text me while at work. Anyway, it simply said "Sakurajima is crazy right now." (translated of course) So I popped out the door to check it out for myself and it was indeed crazy!

All of that gray stuff to the right is smoke!
I could keep going and going, but I suppose I should save something for tomorrow. 
I booked a tour to visit the Great Wall today. 8 more days 'til my trip!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

This week`s goals

Goal #1 - run It`s Monday morning here and I`ve got my first run of the week done! My goal is to get out and run everyday this week M-F and maybe on Saturday too. From Saturday I`m going on a 2 night camping trip with 14 students from the English conversation school where I work. I`m hoping it will be fun, but who knows... This morning I set my alarm for 6:00 to get out and run before Koichi woke up, but that didn`t happen. I ended up getting out of bed around 7:40. I made breakfast so Koichi could eat and then I packed his lunch while snacking on the watermelon that wouldn`t fit in his lunch box. I considered not running since it was already after 8:00. but I decided to just get out there and do it and now I`m glad I did! Goal #2 - eat healthy meals & track food About to make some breakfast now. I`m thinking I`ll make a green smoothie and have 1/4 of an avocado and some sliced tomatoes on the side, may even throw in an egg. Lunch will most likely be chicken taqu...

TGIF

I love Fridays! Thursdays are pretty long for me and I have a few tough classes and then on Friday I have a really easy day with good kids and almost the entire day free. Plus, the weekend is near! Yesterday I was lucky to finish at 4:30 in the afternoon. I had to do some shopping for our upcoming camping trip so I texted my friend Kazuko to see if I could drop by her place. She said yes and I picked up some take out curry and headed over. We had dinner and talked and I played with her kids who are so adorable. It was a nice break from the kids I get to see everyday! I needed to get away from my everyday routine so it was a good visit. Here`s what I`ve got going on today: 1) fold and put away laundry (I`m bad about folding and leaving!) 2) clean kitchen and dining room table 3) Swiffer floors because they`re gritty with volcanic ash 4) exercise at 9:00 (that will make 3 days in a row) 5) Face Time with my sister!! I love planning things to do on the weekends. So far this wee...

Headache -> Cancelled plans

I was supposed to have friends over for a 鍋 (hot-pot) party tonight. I`d invited Kazuko`s family and Miki`s family and we were all looking forward to a fun evening eating, drinking, talking and laughing. Unfortunately I have had a headache since yesterday evening so my plans were cancelled. I thought it would be better when I woke up this morning, but it wasn`t. I went to work at 9:00 for a lesson and thought some coffee would help, but it didn`t. After work I decided to suck it up and go to the gym to work out thinking the exercise would clear my head and take the pain away, but it didn`t. After I came home I discussed with Koichi that I would take some medicine and if my head was still hurting around 3:00pm that I would contact both friends and cancel the evening. Around that time I got a message from Kazuko that her son had a runny nose and that he and her husband would stay home because she didn`t want his germs to spread to Miki`s 8 month old baby. So I made the decision then to g...