Skip to main content

A Wild Friday Night in Kyoto

Oh my gosh, just typing that title cracked me off. When is the last time I had a wild Friday night? Or a wild any night of the week for that matter! It`s been a good long while for sure.

Noa and I had a good day. She woke up early enough to be able to see Koichi for a few minutes before he left for work. And she was in a good enough mood that she let him hold her and then she followed him to the door saying she wanted to go to work with him. She decided this morning that she wants him to take her to see the movie SING! which I`m not even sure is still playing at the theater and besides she`s already been to see it 3 times! Maybe there`s another movie they can go see tomorrow or Sunday and give me a few hours at home alone.

 We had to go to the dentist to have a cavity scraped and filled. We went through a period where she really fought having her teeth brushed and I admittedly did a half ass job and wasn`t as thorough as I should have been. Pair that with her love of all things chocolate and she ended up with a couple of small cavities between each of her 2 front top teeth and the ones next to them on either side. Last week we went for a checkup and because I was concerned about a different spot and they told me about the cavities. Today they fixed one side and we`ll go back next month to have the other side fixed as well. She did so good! She was quite nervous and would barely speak once we were called back, but she never cried and was able to sit by herself in the chair like a big girl. Last time we went both the dentist and the hygienist were surprised at how calm she was considering she`s only 2.
Here she is looking so big in the chair.

As soon as we walked back into the front of the office she immediately started talking again. The staff there have already fallen in love with her and go on about how cute she is. 
She loves this Hello Kitty statue that`s at the shrine next to our place.


On the way home we passed a park and she wanted to play so we stopped for a few minutes so she could run around a bit and slide a few times. She loves the slide here lately! Then between that park and our apartment we took a shortcut through the shrine and ran into a mom and her 2 daughters from our building. Her oldest is the same age/grade as Noa and her sister is 6 months old. We`ve run into each other at the park a few times and the girls like to play together and the mom has been kind and answered lots of questions I have about the area. It was lunch time and the kids were hungry when we met today so we walked home together and talked about meeting again in the afternoon. So after we had lunch and a nap we went back to the park and played and chatted from around 3pm until after 5pm. 

The last couple of days after we meet other kids Noa says over and over that she wants so and so to come to her house and play in her room. So I really have to get on the ball and get things straightened up. If we start having guests regularly then I`ll be more motivated to keep things neat around here. 

Before we headed out I set the timer for the bath to run at 5pm because I knew Noa would be playing in the sandbox. So when we got  home around 5:30 there was a nice hot bath waiting for us! Before we got in I made a pizza delivery order to come around 7pm because Koichi is out tonight for his company`s welcome party. The fiscal year here begins in April so most people transfer offices, start new jobs in April. 

So we had our pizza and watched "Despicable Me," which was on TV recently and I recorded, for about the 10th time. When it was over I convinced her to go to her room and within 30 minutes she was asleep. That`s right folks, she has been asleep by 10:30 three nights in a row! So I am enjoying watching Gilmore Girls on Netflix in peace and as soon as I hit enter on this entry I will pick up around the apartment and watch some more, probably until Koichi comes home and I can go to bed. 

Tomorrow is the first day of what`s called the Golden Week holiday here. April 29 and May 3-5 are all holidays so a lot of people use their paid days off in the middle to make a long holiday. I used to do that when I was teaching and go on trips. This year Koichi has to work on May 1 and Saturday, the 6th, so we are heading to his parents from the 2nd to the 5th. I think we are all excited to head back to Kyushu for a few days. And Noa is excited to see her grandparents. Her grandmother just had knee surgery last month and got to go home just this past week. Noa has been very concerned about her ba-chan`s hurting leg. Hopefully I`ll come back with some good stories and pictures to share!

Have a great weekend, wherever you are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This week`s goals

Goal #1 - run It`s Monday morning here and I`ve got my first run of the week done! My goal is to get out and run everyday this week M-F and maybe on Saturday too. From Saturday I`m going on a 2 night camping trip with 14 students from the English conversation school where I work. I`m hoping it will be fun, but who knows... This morning I set my alarm for 6:00 to get out and run before Koichi woke up, but that didn`t happen. I ended up getting out of bed around 7:40. I made breakfast so Koichi could eat and then I packed his lunch while snacking on the watermelon that wouldn`t fit in his lunch box. I considered not running since it was already after 8:00. but I decided to just get out there and do it and now I`m glad I did! Goal #2 - eat healthy meals & track food About to make some breakfast now. I`m thinking I`ll make a green smoothie and have 1/4 of an avocado and some sliced tomatoes on the side, may even throw in an egg. Lunch will most likely be chicken taqu...

TGIF

I love Fridays! Thursdays are pretty long for me and I have a few tough classes and then on Friday I have a really easy day with good kids and almost the entire day free. Plus, the weekend is near! Yesterday I was lucky to finish at 4:30 in the afternoon. I had to do some shopping for our upcoming camping trip so I texted my friend Kazuko to see if I could drop by her place. She said yes and I picked up some take out curry and headed over. We had dinner and talked and I played with her kids who are so adorable. It was a nice break from the kids I get to see everyday! I needed to get away from my everyday routine so it was a good visit. Here`s what I`ve got going on today: 1) fold and put away laundry (I`m bad about folding and leaving!) 2) clean kitchen and dining room table 3) Swiffer floors because they`re gritty with volcanic ash 4) exercise at 9:00 (that will make 3 days in a row) 5) Face Time with my sister!! I love planning things to do on the weekends. So far this wee...

Headache -> Cancelled plans

I was supposed to have friends over for a 鍋 (hot-pot) party tonight. I`d invited Kazuko`s family and Miki`s family and we were all looking forward to a fun evening eating, drinking, talking and laughing. Unfortunately I have had a headache since yesterday evening so my plans were cancelled. I thought it would be better when I woke up this morning, but it wasn`t. I went to work at 9:00 for a lesson and thought some coffee would help, but it didn`t. After work I decided to suck it up and go to the gym to work out thinking the exercise would clear my head and take the pain away, but it didn`t. After I came home I discussed with Koichi that I would take some medicine and if my head was still hurting around 3:00pm that I would contact both friends and cancel the evening. Around that time I got a message from Kazuko that her son had a runny nose and that he and her husband would stay home because she didn`t want his germs to spread to Miki`s 8 month old baby. So I made the decision then to g...