Confession: Here lately I like doing laundry! I know, it sounds like I may have lost my mind. Just wait until you hear the rest.
In Japan it`s pretty common practice to hang laundry on the balcony or throughout your house if it`s raining. For years I did my laundry that way, occasionally taking it to a coin laundry if I had a lot or I wanted it to finish drying quickly.
Most apartments, at least newer ones, are outfitted with a spot on the balcony to hang a rod for drying laundry. I just recently bought one along with a contraption of laundry clips to hang socks, towels, etc.
Before Noa was born Koichi`s parents decided to buy us a new washing machine with a dryer. Here it is:
In Japan it`s pretty common practice to hang laundry on the balcony or throughout your house if it`s raining. For years I did my laundry that way, occasionally taking it to a coin laundry if I had a lot or I wanted it to finish drying quickly.
Most apartments, at least newer ones, are outfitted with a spot on the balcony to hang a rod for drying laundry. I just recently bought one along with a contraption of laundry clips to hang socks, towels, etc.
Before Noa was born Koichi`s parents decided to buy us a new washing machine with a dryer. Here it is:
It`s just one drum and goes through an entire cycle of washing and drying. They bought it for us because his mom didn`t want me washing her precious granddaughter`s clothes in our old washing machine. Plus in Kagoshima we often had ash from the volcano which kept us from hanging clothes outside sometimes. So since Noa was born I`ve mostly washed and dried all of our laundry in the machine.
However, since we moved and no longer have to deal with volcanic ash, I thought it might be nice to hang laundry to dry again. And you know what?! I actually like it better than drying in the machine. The way the laundry feels kind of crispy and the smell from being hung outside is nice. I was finally able to catch up on laundry and for the last week have only washed one load a day and I don`t have a basket full of clothes that need to be washed. I just turn the washer on when I wake up and when it beeps about 45 minutes later I hang it all outside. Then Noa and I get ready and go out to do whatever is on our agenda for the day. When we get back the laundry is usually dry and while she`s napping I can fold it and put it away. I LOVE routines and having this kind of daily routine makes me happy.
Hopefully I can keep it up!
While on the subject of laundry, do any of you remember my first washing machine in Japan?! I thought I had a picture somewhere, but couuldn`t find it. So here`s one I got from an electronic store`s website.
My first washing machine in Japan was like this one. I`d put clothes in the left side and had to manually turn the water on to wash, then drain it and add water in again to rinse. Then I had to move the clothes to the right side for the spin cycle. I remember the first time I saw it and asked the guy showing me my house, "What is this?!" Hard to believe that was almost 12 years ago. My laundry style has come a long way since then.
Oh, I just heard the washing machine beeping, so it`s time to go and hang it out to dry!
We are going to the dentist today, hopefully Noa will be as good today as she was last time.

Comments
Post a Comment