Skip to main content

#meghangetslost in Kyoto - Part 2

I believe in the previous post I got to our day on Wednesday, May 17.

On Thursday Noa and I went to our weekly mom & kid play group and Meghan rode Koichi`s bike to see Toji, a temple with a 5 storied pagoda. Noa and I usually have lunch with the play group, but that day we left early and met up with Meghan at AEON, did a little shopping and then all came home to rest a bit.

I only have 2 photos in my phone from Friday, so I`m pretty sure that was the day that Meghan went to the bamboo groves in the morning and I don`t think we got out in the afternoon. I believe Noa had a dentist appointment that day and cried a lot!

Saturday, May 20

On Saturday Koichi was off so once the three of us were up and ready we headed to meet up with Meghan who was up, out and about really early that day, at Fushimi Inari Shrine. This was my fourth time to visit Fushimi Inari and this time was a bit of a disappointment compared to the others because of the unbelievable number of people there. I don`t know if it`s because it was a Saturday or what, but we could barely walk through the famed torii gates because of the crowd. Once we got to a break in the gates I suggested we walk along the outside of them instead which ended up being so much better.

Family pic at the entrance

The outside view of the torii gates. It looks so peaceful from here.

I loved the panorama shot.

Just us girls at the entrance, as we were leaving.

From the shrine we went to eat lunch at a hamburger steak restaurant called Bikkuri Donkey, which literally means surprised donkey. I was surprised to see macaroni and cheese on the menu and had to have some. It wasn`t bad, but my homemade mac & cheese is better!

After lunch we hit Kyoto Station to pick up Shinkansen tickets to Tokyo the following morning.



That night we decided to have a takoyaki (tako = octopus and yaki = grilled, but it`s like a grilled dumpling with octopus inside)

This was our takoyaki spread. We decided to add some things besides octopus to some of the dumplings. We had shredded cheese, sauteed asparagus with bacon, little weiners, tomatoes, and kimchi. My favorite was either the tomato with some cheese added in, or the kimchi!

Our takoyaki griddle in action.

Sunday, May 21

We got up super early to make it to Kyoto Station in time for a 7:05 train headed for Tokyo. Thanks to Koichi for waking up to take us!
Tokyo Disneyland bound and so excited!

This is one of my favorite shots of them from Meghan`s visit. Noa was sometimes mean to her, as she tends to be, but you can tell she loves her here. Plus, since Meghan left Noa has asked to look at pictures of her trip almost everyday!

If you know when to look out the window on the left side of the train from Kyoto to Tokyo, you can catch a nice view of Mt Fuji. Unfortunately we were on the right side of the train, but I had a brilliant moment and thought to go to the area between cars which has a window and we had a nice view.

Tokyo Disneyland
From Tokyo Station we had to change trains and go to Maihama Station which is next to Disneyland. At the exit from the station there is a welcome center and we were able to go there to check in to our hotel, get keys, leave our bags to be delivered to our rooms, and purchase park tickets! It was such a great system.

It was an absolutely gorgeous day, even a little hot at times.


Noa wanted a photo with every statue she saw.

Apparently TDL is still celebrating Easter through mid June. At first I thought it was kind of crazy, but once we noticed the eggs hidden here and there I loved it. These were two of my favorites because I have always loved Lady & The Tramp.

On the train ride that basically gives you a tour of the park.

Snack time!

On the Dumbo ride. I had to snap a pic quick before take off because they have a no phones/cameras rule while in operation.

This was before the electrical parade began. Noa had just woken up from a pretty good nap and in the shot just before this she is making the ugliest, bad mood face. She calls that pic "Ugly Noa" and has showed it to everyone we`ve met since that day.

We had SO MUCH FUN at Disneyland because Meghan is ah-mazing at figuring out where we should go when. We saw a Minnie Mouse show, like 3 or 4 parades, had some great food, and found good souvenirs. I can`t wait to go back with her for Tokyo Disney Halloween, hopefully sooner rather than later! (fingers crossed)

This was the following morning after breakfast. Meghan was heading to spend the day at Disney Sea and Noa and I went to Kamakura to spend the night with my mother in law`s sister and her husband who we hadn`t seen since December 2015.

Tuesday, May 23
It`s amazing how fast time goes when you`re having fun. It was hard to believe it had been 12 days since we picked Meghan up at the station in Kyoto and now we had to say goodbye. We had a few hours to chat some more at the airport and also a little drama as I left my backpack on the bus Noa and I had taken there from Kamakura. Luckily it wasn`t the first time I forgot something on the limousine bus and I was sure they`d get it back to me and of course they did. I will be more careful next time though!
One last shot of the two of us.

And one of the three of us.

It was an amazing 12 days for us. We got to see some sights we hadn`t been to yet and I loved having someone around to chat with in English. It was so special to me for Noa to have the opportunity to get to know one of my close college friends. I know won`t remember everything, but I have no doubt that even several years from now when she looks back on pictures of Meghan`s visit here that she`ll know who she is. Of course I hope we are able to meet again before several years from now, so that will help Noa remember her. 

Meghan, thank you so much for coming to stay with us. I love having guests, especially from back home, and you were a great one! We can`t wait for you to come back again. And anyone else reading who would like to visit us in Kyoto, we have plenty of space for people to stay with us! Just let me know when😉

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This week`s goals

Goal #1 - run It`s Monday morning here and I`ve got my first run of the week done! My goal is to get out and run everyday this week M-F and maybe on Saturday too. From Saturday I`m going on a 2 night camping trip with 14 students from the English conversation school where I work. I`m hoping it will be fun, but who knows... This morning I set my alarm for 6:00 to get out and run before Koichi woke up, but that didn`t happen. I ended up getting out of bed around 7:40. I made breakfast so Koichi could eat and then I packed his lunch while snacking on the watermelon that wouldn`t fit in his lunch box. I considered not running since it was already after 8:00. but I decided to just get out there and do it and now I`m glad I did! Goal #2 - eat healthy meals & track food About to make some breakfast now. I`m thinking I`ll make a green smoothie and have 1/4 of an avocado and some sliced tomatoes on the side, may even throw in an egg. Lunch will most likely be chicken taqu...

TGIF

I love Fridays! Thursdays are pretty long for me and I have a few tough classes and then on Friday I have a really easy day with good kids and almost the entire day free. Plus, the weekend is near! Yesterday I was lucky to finish at 4:30 in the afternoon. I had to do some shopping for our upcoming camping trip so I texted my friend Kazuko to see if I could drop by her place. She said yes and I picked up some take out curry and headed over. We had dinner and talked and I played with her kids who are so adorable. It was a nice break from the kids I get to see everyday! I needed to get away from my everyday routine so it was a good visit. Here`s what I`ve got going on today: 1) fold and put away laundry (I`m bad about folding and leaving!) 2) clean kitchen and dining room table 3) Swiffer floors because they`re gritty with volcanic ash 4) exercise at 9:00 (that will make 3 days in a row) 5) Face Time with my sister!! I love planning things to do on the weekends. So far this wee...

Headache -> Cancelled plans

I was supposed to have friends over for a 鍋 (hot-pot) party tonight. I`d invited Kazuko`s family and Miki`s family and we were all looking forward to a fun evening eating, drinking, talking and laughing. Unfortunately I have had a headache since yesterday evening so my plans were cancelled. I thought it would be better when I woke up this morning, but it wasn`t. I went to work at 9:00 for a lesson and thought some coffee would help, but it didn`t. After work I decided to suck it up and go to the gym to work out thinking the exercise would clear my head and take the pain away, but it didn`t. After I came home I discussed with Koichi that I would take some medicine and if my head was still hurting around 3:00pm that I would contact both friends and cancel the evening. Around that time I got a message from Kazuko that her son had a runny nose and that he and her husband would stay home because she didn`t want his germs to spread to Miki`s 8 month old baby. So I made the decision then to g...